Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Recipe: Sweet Potato Fries


Hello! Let me start by explaining that I am by no means good at cooking. I tend muddle my way through the same recipes every night because I know I won't screw them up. However, one thing that I know I rule at making is homemade sweet potato fries. 

I'm sure if I had the luxury of a deep fryer, I'd use that. But I do not, so I'll just lie and say that I bake them because it's healthier. This is not a science, and no two batches ever turn out the same, so you need to try using these guidelines but it might take a couple tries to get them how you want them.




Preheat the oven to 425°Start by peeling all of your yams. I usually cook one per person eating. Then you're going to chop them in halves and then keep slicing them into fry shapes. You don't want to cut them too narrow though, or else it makes them difficult to pick up and eat.


After you've cut all the yams, you can coat them in a thin layer of corn starch (the starch is optional. Depending on how fatty I want them to be, I will or won't add it. It helps make them more crisp) I find a colander (or strainer) is the easiest way to get the right amount. You end up wasting a lot into the sink, but I'd rather that than have them smothered. Add the starch, then carefully give them a good shake in the colander, until they are just dusted.



Arrange the fries on a pan. I just received a special french fry pan from Brad's mom so this was actually my first time using it! It works really well, and the holes in the bottom allow more heat to cook the fries evenly. However, if you're not quite a fry fanatic like me and don't have special cookware for them, a cookie sheet works just as well! Drizzle oil over the fries, and use your hands to flip them and make sure every side has some on them. 

From there, add any sort of toppings or seasonings you'd like. My personal favourite is rosemary and sea salt, but I usually don't add the salt until I flip them. 




While the fries are in the oven, you can make sauce! This one really needs no recipe since it is only 2 ingredients: Sriracha Sauce (hot sauce) and mayo. Just mix it up in a bowl, and vary the amounts depending on how much spice you'd like. 



Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Makes 1 plate, enough for one really hungry person or 2 people to share.

Ingredients:

2 yams
2 tablespoons of corn starch
2 tablespoons of olive oil
+ any additional seasonings, to taste (I like sea salt and rosemary)

For Sauce (mild spiciness)

1/2 cup of mayo
1 teaspoon of Sriracha Sauce


Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425°. Peel yams, then slice into fry shapes making sure not to cut them too thin. From here, you have the option to soak them in cold water, but it isn't mandatory and I usually can't tell the difference. Coat fries in corn starch in a colander and shake until they are dusted lightly. Place them on a baking pan then drizzle olive oil over the fries, and use your hands to make sure they are lightly coated in oil on every side. Arrange on the baking pan so there is about a finger space between the fries on every side. Add your seasoning preference, then place in the oven. Cook for about 10-15 minutes on the first side, then flip (this is when I add the sea salt) and finish cooking for about 5-10 minutes. This is where it is all down to you, because every oven is different. Just remember to keep an eye on them, and check that they aren't burning.

For the sauce, add the Sriracha Sauce to the mayo and stir. Add more Sriracha for more spice, or mayo to make it more mild, depending on your taste.

Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. wow this seems yummy.. must try, thanks for sharing darling!

    xo, Carla
    www.carlaviolet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, my friend and I always order these at a restaurant we like to visit, so knowing how to make them will be so much better!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade sweet potato fries are my favourite! I've never tried adding the cornstarch though, so I'll try that out next time as mine usually end up sweating and going all soggy haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your sweet words, they made my day!
    Oh my, I LOVE sweet potatoes and everything fried so this is pretty much perfect!

    Have a great new year,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so delicious, I have to try this recipe<3!
    Hope you have a great day:)!
    -Iris
    http://colorfulw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sweet potato fries but have never cooked then before- now I have no excuse not to :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok that literally looks SO good I'm crying. I need to make some. like. now.

    stop by sometime(:

    xx Shirley
    http://classifiedcloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so yummy! I love your blog and your looks! Would you like to follow each other on GFC, Facebook or bloglovin to stay in touch? Let me know, thanks!

    xx,
    www.mellowyellowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look so good! i've made sweet potato fries in the past, but not in awhile. i want to again!

    xxo
    Chantilly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look delicious! ♥ I'm a big fan of sweet potatoes so I'll have to give it a whirl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh this is such a good recipe! Definitely gonna have to try it out ;) I LOVE the style of your photos, they have such a unique quality to them - I need to experiment with filters and things more.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!
    Helen at Hels Yeah! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to try making sweet potato fries some day! But I think sweet potatoes might be a bit hard to find in Sweden, or maybe not I don't know haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh delicious - I lurve these, so great post!! Check out my blog if you get the chance:
    http://milimola.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete