Wednesday, May 21, 2014

DIY: Indoor Chalkboard Herb Garden


I am positive I've mentioned this before, but one of the biggest challenges with our apartment (and trust me, there are several) is the total lack of outdoor space.. and I mean not even a balcony (plus we have screens so I can't even stick my head out the window if I'm feeling really desperate). I decided recently that I'm not going to let that stop me from trying my hand at gardening. So, I picked one of the easiest and most useful plants to grow indoors: herbs! 

I took a trip to the local greenhouse with my mom, and she helped me pick out which plants I'd like. Once I had the plants, I had to decide what I was going to plant them in. When I painted our kitchen wall in chalkboard paint, I almost considered buying 2 cans of paint because I didn't think 1 would be enough... Boy, was I wrong. After finishing that project almost a year ago, painting the globe, and a couple other odds and end uses, I still have over half a can of the stuff. So, chalkboard paint planters was the obvious choice for me. The nice part about this is that if/when I want to switch them up, I can just erase the name of the old plant and write the new one in its place.


Supplies:
- herbs
- small pots, with drainage holes in the bottom
- pot trays
- a small rock for each pot
- potting soil
- chalkboard paint
- chalk




Paint the pots in a thick coat of chalkboard paint, and just the tops of the inside so it barely touches the soil. Do the same with the trays, if you'd like, or leave them unpainted for a contrast in colour.

Let the pots dry for several hours before moving on to the next step and planting your herbs.




Once the pots are completely dry, you're ready to plant. Place a small rock above the hole in the bottom, making sure not to cover it completely. This just helps to make sure no soil will get stuck in there and prevent them from draining properly, which would rot the roots.



Move the herbs from their plastic pots to their new pots and top off with potting soil. Compress the soil lightly with your fingers, but make sure not to pack it in too much.

Take a piece of chalk and, using the side, scuff up the pots to create a base coat for your chalkboard. This is important, because if you don't do this step it is next to impossible to erase later. Write or draw whatever you'd like on your pots and set in a place where they can get a good amount of indirect sunlight. Happy gardening!



3 comments:

  1. Lavender is grate to have in the house, smells so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute idea! I have a tiny balcony that is probably less than a foot wide -- only good to stand on. Maybe I'll have to try something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is literally the cutest. i bought a basil plant because is was tired of having to spend $6 on fresh basil (especially when the plant is only $7!) and it has gotten so big it's insane. i remember being worried i would run out and now i'm worried that it will take over the window sill.
    i need to get some chalkboard paint!

    xoxo
    e
    the little diary.

    ReplyDelete