Saturday, September 13, 2014

Wall Art For the Financially-Challenged: Shower Curtain Art



Being back at school, my budget has really tightened up. But at the same time, I was going insane trying to figure out what to do with our lovely white bedroom walls. I have had my heart set on this wallpaper for as long as I can remember, and to be honest I would have splurged and bought it if we weren't living in a rental apartment.

I tossed around a few ideas, all revolving around the idea of wood, or trees, and then stumbled upon this shower curtain. Imagine my luck when I also discovered that Urban Outfitters was having an unheard of deal where they were providing free shipping to Canada! It was too good to pass up, so I bought it and eagerly waited for it to arrive.

I wish I could say that my idea to create a stretched canvas piece out of it was original, but it wasn't entirely. I thought to myself that it would totally make sense to use a shower curtain as fabric, so I went to Pinterest to see if anyone had done the same, which is where I found this informative post from 6th Street Design School.


Now that I knew it was totally doable, I went back to waiting for the shower curtain to arrive, but this time I was even more eager to get started. It arrived a week later, and I set out to Home Depot to buy the lumber. The second I got home, I borrowed (technically without asking..) my property managers ladder and got to work.

Materials:
1 shower curtain (mine was 72"x72")
6 pieces of cheap 1"x2" wood
         2 cut to 70" long
         4 cut to 68" long
8 screws to build the frame
3 screws to put in the wall to hang the finished product
Staple gun, or 1" flat topped nails
A drill

Process:
1. Lay out your boards with the 1" side (the skinnier) facing up. The longer boards will be the top and bottom and will be on the outside when you assemble the frame, while the shorter ones will be the sides and middle support. Do your best to evenly distribute the middle pieces so you are able to get a flat surface when the shower curtain is attached.
2. Start screwing a side and top/bottom corner together. Go around the frame and do the same for all 4 of the corners, trying your best to keep the pieces flush together (but honestly, it's not super important that they are perfect).
3. Screw in the two middle pieces.
4. Lay out the shower curtain as centred and even as possible. Starting with the top, wrap a piece down along the wood, and either staple or nail the shower curtain to the board. It helps to have an extra set of hands for stretching out the material, so ask a friend for help. Move along the rest of the top adding in as many staples/nails as you see fit.
5. Do the same for the sides, then finally the bottom. It should all be pretty flat, and pulled tight enough that it has some bounce to it.
6. Hang it up, and voila!


All in all, the project took me 1 hour to complete from start to finish, and came to a total of around $40 ($29+tax for the shower curtain, $7 for the wood).

Happy building!

2 comments:

  1. The designs can be seen and ordered at Fathead.com and come in a variety of price points. Click here to see the full line. Below are some of my favourites from the new collection. kids bedroom wall decal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Love the project! May I ask where you got your bed from??

    ReplyDelete